Renting Furnished vs Unfurnished: The Key Advantages of Both
When it comes to renting a luxury apartment, you’re faced with two main options: furnished and unfurnished. While they might seem like insignificant choices, they can have a massive impact on your livelihood and finances.
There are pros and cons to both options, and having a thorough understanding of both can aid your decision in going forward. So, let’s take a look at the benefits of furnished and unfurnished apartments to help you make your choice.
What is it?
In basic terms, furnished apartments (also known as “turnkey” rentals) come with basic furniture and appliances that the tenant will need. These can include a wealth of options, including couches, beds, dining and coffee tables, refrigerators and stoves, and in some cases, even dishes, pots and pans, and silverware.
However, there are two types of furnished apartments: fully and semi-furnished.
For the former, it refers to the whole apartment being stocked with furniture and appliances. In essence, as a renter, you can just walk into the apartment with your baggage, and that’s it.
For the latter, only big, basic pieces of furniture - sofa, bed, dresser, and table and chairs - are included within the apartment.
Furthermore, in luxury apartments, you might get stunning decor, such as mirrors and arts, to add more flair to the living standards. It should be noted that furnished apartments do not refer to amenities, but these are considered separate entities.
What are the Advantages of Furnished Apartments?
Many benefits come with furnished rentals that can make a difference to your lifestyle and budget.
- Everything is already set up for you, so you have the luxury of not having to spend money on buying or moving furniture into the apartment. You’ll save more than expected.
- There are fewer hassles and few commitments required for the apartment, meaning less stress for you.
- Easy, breezy moving day, as you won’t be moving couches up and down stairs all day.
- It’s great for professionals and travellers who require a spot to live without any extensive living requirements. It is also helpful for first-time apartment renters and those in a transitional phase in life.
However, there are few cons to note:
- Furnished apartments tend to be more expensive due to the presence of furniture and a higher damage deposit if there is an incident.
- You also have limited flexibility when it comes to changing up the design and style. You’ll also find that furnished apartment styles might not affect your own personal ones.
What is it?
As the name suggests, it refers to apartments that do not come with furniture. That means any empty apartment for you to do what you want. However, depending on the luxury apartment, you might still get refrigerators and stoves as part of the deal. It’s a very common option.
While it might not sound as exciting, there are plenty of advantages to having free space available at your fingertips.
What are the Advantages of Unfurnished Apartments?
Here are some of the best benefits you can enjoy when renting out an unfurnished apartment:
- Rent is cheaper, as you guessed it, you ain’t paying for the furniture or excessive appliances. It also means cheaper damage deposits, as there is less chance you’ll damage something within the apartment.
- It’s great for creating your own personal household, style and decor. You can add personal touches that really bring your home to life, as opposed to dealing with the landlord’s choice of home decor.
- Families and long-term renters can really benefit from this situation. You can find what you like and don’t like when creating a personalized home.
Now, let’s consider some of the drawbacks:
- You’re going to have to pay for furniture and appliances, which can be very expensive. For first-timers, it can be a tough start to life. The same applies to those people that move for jobs and are on the go.
- Moving is going to be a pain and can be costly.
What to Choose? It’s Up to You
Now that you know the key pros and cons, you can make an informed decision that benefits your lifestyle. To choose the right one, it’s best to consider the following:
- The type of lifestyle you wish to live
- Your budget and long-term financial goals
- Your job and how it impacts where you live
- Consider what is and what is not included in the luxury apartments
- Check the floor plans of the apartment to determine how much flexibility and freedom you have within it
- Speak to the landlord and property management company about their options and how they can help you make a decision
Choosing the wrong option can impact your livelihood and finances for a long time, so take your time to decide which option is best for you.