How clogged gutter guards can damage a building?
During rains and snows, gutters can often get clogged. To prevent this from happening, many people install gutter guards, which collect debris from going into the drain. However, installing a gutter guard comes with its maintenance as well. Since debris collects in gutter guards, they also require cleaning. There are many gutter guards Chicago available for you to choose from.
What are gutter guards?
Also known as leaf guards, gutter guards cover the gutter on the side of a building and a house. These guards direct the flow of water from the rooftops to the ground while it collects dirt. There are various types of gutter guards available and for different purposes. Some of these are as follows:
- Screen gutter guards are easy to install and are made up of plastic. They prevent leaves from entering the gutters.
- Mesh gutter guards are excellent for collecting large debris, such as leaves; however, these may easily break due to snow buildup. There are also micro mesh gutter guards made up of fine mesh with small holes not visible.
- Foam gutters consist of porous polyurethane. These gutter guards collect debris. However, the flow of water through these guards is slow, which causes overflowing in case of heavy rains.
- Perforated metal guards have holes in them to prevent leaves from passing through. However, dirt and smaller debris may still pass through into the drain.
Gutter guards are in homes, apartment buildings, and other commercial buildings. It protects a building in several ways. For one, it reduces the chances of water seepage in the walls of a building. It prevents flooding in basements and other areas in a building.
Gutter guards also prevent leaves and other debris from clogging the gutters. In case a gutter gets clogged, it can lead to overflowing. Leaves, dirt, bird droppings, plastics, and other debris may collect in the mesh of the guards. Hence, gutter guards also require regular cleaning. For this purpose, you can hire professionals who provide services to keep the gutter guards clean. Experts recommend that you have your leaf guards cleaned at least twice a year with the help of a professional cleaner.
How do clogged gutter and gutter guard damage a building?
Clogged gutter guards can lead to property damage in various ways. If not cleaned, clogged gutter guards will prevent water from flowing down. It will lead to water accumulation on the roof. It also causes seepage and the foundation of a building to weaken. If water does not drain properly, it will seep into the basement, walls, and roof of a building causing property damage. Wooden structures in a house may swell and get damaged due to water accumulation.
In addition to this, stagnant water (due to clogging) can lead to mold formation. Damp walls are a breeding ground for mold. Moreover, fungus leads to unpleasant odors, which can be a huge problem to deal with. Since debris collects into gutters and gutter guards, it often leads to overflowing during rainy seasons. It can lead to the destruction of the surrounding property.
Often birds, such as pigeons, may make a nest on gutter guards. Bird droppings are a breeding ground for bacteria. It leads to the clogging of gutter guards, and it may attract insects as well. Hence, making it more clogged. In such a case, you need the help of professionals who can safely remove debris from your gutter guards.
How to avoid clogged gutter guards?
Here are a few tips to keep your gutter guards clean:
- Place a plastic sheet or cloth on the It collects dirt and debris that you will remove from the guards.
- Use a leaf blower to get rid of leaves stuck in the gutter guards.
- Use a hose to clean away the debris from the guards and gutter.
- To clean gutter guards, remove it, if possible. Some gutter guards, such as screen guards, are easily removed and installed. However, be careful in removing them.
Cleaning gutter guards by hand is difficult not to mention dangerous. To clean gutter guards, you need to wear gloves to prevent injuries. Moreover, wear proper equipment to clean gutter guards properly. To avoid this, you can hire professional gutter cleaners.