Best TV shows for Apartment Living
Since the television was invented in the early 1900s, television and what is aired on it has come a long way. In fact, what was once known as TV shows is far from what our idea of TV shows is today. There are hundreds of cable tv deals to choose when you are living in an apartment.
These earliest TV shows could be better known as pictures on a TV screen as they only featured people doing simple motions, such as sitting, standing, or smoking a cigarette. Weather and news updates were also popular TV “shows” at the time. It was not until the 1930s that more full length shows that are more along the lines of what we picture TV shows to be aired.
However, as TV evolved, programming became more of a production and then became serialized. It was this decades long evolution, marked with such historic events as the airing of the U.S.’s first reality TV show, An American Family (which followed the Loud family over 12 episodes) that brought us the TV shows that we know and love today. From reality TV to dramas to comedies and more, a variety exists today, offering something to please just about anyone.
The Most Watched TV Shows Today
Despite the almost overwhelming plethora of TV shows available today, certain ones have made their way into Americans’ hearts (or at least appealed to them) in ways that others have not. While some are established TV shows, having aired for over a decade, and others are relatively brand new, some of the most popular TV shows today, according to TV Guide, are:
- American Idol – first aired in 2002, over ten years ago, American Idol rocketed to TV fame, drawing millions of viewers in its first season and carrying that momentum into another 12 seasons. This show, which eliminates singing contestants until there is just one winner, has made the careers of more than just a few musical artists, including Carrie Underwood, Clay Aiken, and Phillip Phillips.
- Suits – Starting its 3rd season in the summer of 2013, Suits hit the top spot for viewers between the ages of adults 18-49 and 25-54 at the 10 p.m. time slot with its 2nd season finale, showing its popularity with American men and women. The show follows two hot shot lawyers in a New York law firm and the high profile cases they and the rest of their colleagues work on.
- True Blood – this TV show, based on the book series "The Southern Vampire Mysteries", features Sookie Stackhouse and the vampires and people living side by side in Bon Temps. After five seasons on the air, the show is still going strong and has won several prestigious awards, including a Golden Globe and several Emmys.
- Arrested Development – after running for three seasons, this extremely popular show about the dysfunctional Bluth family was cancelled, to the dismay of millions. However, in 2013 Netflix produced a forth season of Arrested Development, giving fans more of the Bluths.
- The Voice – similar to American Idol, the Voice has become an even more popular singing talent show in recent years. Featuring stars Blake Shelton, Christina Aguilera, and Adam Levine, the Voice allowed contestants to audition without being seen, giving an added twist to the variety of singing shows on TV.
- Grey’s Anatomy – compared to certain soap operas because of the sheer amount of drama the show has, Grey’s Anatomy follows the professional and personal lives of the doctors at Seattle Grace Hospital. After finishing its ninth season as one of the top shows on TV today, Grey’s Anatomy is still going strong and gearing up to air the premiere of its 10th season.
- Game of Thrones – Based on the Song of Ice and Fire book series by George R.R. Martin, Game of Thrones is a fantasy TV show that quickly captured the attention of people all over the world. Known for killing off beloved characters, this show keeps watchers tuned in with its innovation and unpredictability.
With billions of people watching TV shows daily, this is just a short list of the most popular TV shows today. Depending on who you ask and what you like, none – or all – of these may be the “best” show on TV today.
In addition, you might be able to watch TV programs on the Internet these days. Even TV programs from another countries might be accessbile via the Internet using VPN services. For example, you might be able to watch Chinese TV programs from the U.S. using a China VPN. Therefore, there're really a lot of TV programs to check out from your own aparment!