How Reverse Decluttering Can Help You Downsize Your Home
Are you feeling overwhelmed with the amount of stuff in your home? Are you looking for ways to declutter and organize, but don't know where to start? If so, reverse decluttering may be just what you need. This simple strategy can help you downsize your home and get rid of clutter for good. Keep reading to learn more about reverse decluttering and see if it's right for you.
What is Reverse Decluttering?
Most people know that the best way to downsize a home is to get rid of unnecessary items that are taking up space. While the concept in and of itself seems simple enough, many people still struggle. This is where reverse decluttering comes in.
Reverse decluttering is the process of going through your belongings and finding a "forever home" for each item. While sifting through your belongings and trying to find a permanent place for things, you will likely come across plenty of things that you no longer need and can happily get rid of. This is the goal of reverse decluttering – to help you weed out your things so that you're left with only items that serve a purpose or bring you joy.
How to Reverse Declutter Your Home
Now that you know what reverse decluttering is, it's time to learn how to do it in your own home. The process is actually quite simple and can be completed in just a few steps.
- Gather all of your belongings in one place. This is the first and most important step of reverse decluttering. In order to find a home for each of your things, you need to see everything that you own in one place. This will help you get a better idea of what you have and what can be decluttered. To help keep things organized, start with one room at a time and collect similar items that will likely be stored together or in the same drawer/cabinet.
- Sort through your belongings. Once everything is in one place, it's time to start sorting. Create three piles – one for things that you want to keep, one for things that can be donated or sold, and one for trash. This will help you narrow down your belongings and make the decluttering process easier. Not only will this aid in eliminating unnecessary and unwanted belongings, there is also the potential of making a bit of money by selling quality items.
- Find a home for each item. This is the heart of reverse decluttering. For each item that you want to keep, find a place where it can live permanently. This may mean putting away out-of-season clothes or getting rid of duplicate items. Once you've found a home for everything, take a step back and admire your work. You may be surprised at how much decluttering you were able to accomplish!
*Pro Tip: Don’t get discouraged if you don’t find the perfect spot right away. As you get on with life you may find that there might be a more appropriate “forever home” for certain items. Don’t stress! Just change things up as needed.
Reverse Decluttering Tips
If you're ready to start reverse decluttering your home, here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Set aside some time. Don't try to declutter your entire home in one day. This will only overwhelm you and make the process more difficult. Instead, set aside some time each day or each week to work on decluttering. To help keep things on track, try making a reverse decluttering schedule.
- Start small. If you're feeling overwhelmed, start with a small area of your home. Once you've decluttered that space, you can move on to another area. By starting small you will likely gain momentum and continue to larger areas and rooms quickly and easily.
- Be honest with yourself. When you're decluttering, it's important to be honest with yourself about what you need and what you can live without. If an item doesn't bring you joy or serve a purpose, get rid of it! If you are having doubts, try boxing up the item and see if you even need it over the next few weeks. Chances are you may forget about it all together, or realize you are ok to part with it.
- Ask for help. If you're struggling to declutter on your own, ask a friend or family member for help. Sometimes it's easier to let go of things when someone else is there to support you and having help may make the entire experience more enjoyable.
Reverse decluttering is a great way to downsize your home and get rid of clutter for good. By following the steps above, you can declutter your home in no time! So what are you waiting for? Get started today!
More to Read: